Monday, February 14, 2011

Replacing Gawker Blogs



Gawker, owner of some of my favorite blogs such as Gizmodo, iO9, Kotaku and Lifehacker. Has recently gone through a very serious site redesign, that, to to put lightly is complete garbage, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when the first of Gawker's sites got the overhaul. It was terrible I was repulsed I decided that it just wasn't for me I couldn't possibly understand how designers thought that that that layout could ever be a legitimate success.

Next thing I know all of my favorite Gawker blogs had the redesign, I was especially disappointed with Kotaku and Gizmodo I was really hoping those two blogs could supersede the decision, sadly they could not or did not. Aside from that fact that the articles on Gizmodo and Kotaku had been getting quite ridiculous and  redundant in terms of what their blogs are meant for, the redesign sent me over the edge  and I was forced to delete them from my bookmarks

That meant I was out of four of my favorite blogs and their content, but after searching deep into the depths of the interwebs I was able to come up with replacements I can 100% stand behind, Ill never need to look back.

Here are my top Replacement for the following gawker sites.

Kotaku ----> Evil Avatar: While its not as full of life as Classic Kotaku and its not as vivid or simplistic its a very good replacement under the circumstances, its up to date and theres numerous daily posts.

Gizmodo  ----> Engadget: its the ideal replacement by all means, Ive known of this site for years and before I grew uber fond of Gizmodo I visited this. When Gizmodo became unbearable I knew exactly where to go.

LifeHacker  ---->  Software News Daily & Hack A Day: I couldn't quite find the singular equivalent to Life Hacker but I found two separate sites that do a pretty decent job separately.

iO9 ----> Geekologie: Not as fresh and ambitious but it gets the job done quite well.



          

No comments: